Thursday, September 17, 2009

New Work

This is my sketchbook drawing of a design for the commissioned work for the neice of a friend at LibertyTown who is turning 21 in October. She likes cupcakes, so I went with that theme and created 21 little images about the mighty sweet treat for a block print design.

I decided to split the design in three smaller blocks and cut and printed the first one today. I have already transfered the second set of nine little pictures to the second block, and then I will do the bottom three cupakes on a third block so that I can remove it and still use the other blocks for a less specifically birthday work. I'll be holding my breath as I print each block, one beneath the next!



I can also see this design as a painting. I have a 24 x 48 canvas which needs rehabilitating, and this might be just the thing for it.

17 comments:

Kerri Settle said...

What a thoughtful birthday gift! This would also be stunning as a large painting.

Elizabeth said...

Wonderful printing blocks!! you can use these in so many ways!! Would also make a great series!!
Elizabeth

Anna M. Branner said...

I love your print work! This is really going to look great.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Thanks for stopping by, Kerri, Elizabeth and Anna. I appreciate your comments. I'll be posting my progress from today, barring any unforeseen disasters!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

I just ran into your blog, and first of all, I can't BELIEVE you're self taught! You absolutely ROCK! I love - well, OK, i love your collages - because I'd love to but am terrified to try them! And your whimsical paintings, the sketches - man, you do it all. And you mentioned that you were a timid little girl - SHE's gone! I am bookmarking you!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Hey, Cathyann! I hope your vaca is going well. Thanks for commenting.

Kelly, your words overwhelm me. Thanks so much for writing and following my site. Glad to know you'll be back!

Incognito said...

I like the whimsical spirit of this piece and wish you very good printing as you continue!

GYPSYWOMAN said...

what a wonderful way to honor her - love the idea - and the image! hmmmm....and MY birthday just passed! darn!

Pam Holnback said...

Really great sketches. Even better prints. And, a very thoughtful, meaningful gift.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments. I really appreciate it!

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Elizabeth,

This is great -- fanciful and strong,
a wonderful combination. I love your description of the process too.

Take care,

Barbara

Lakeland art said...

What a great idea, Elizabeth love the cupcakes theme. Thanks for the words of encouragement

M.M.E. said...

Cool! It's nice to meet another printmaker! Your skills look far above mine. I'll be following you from now on for inspiration.

Robin Pedrero said...

These are great!!!I love wood block and lino prints!!!

Dana Cooper said...

Elizabeth, these block prints are really wonderful...there are so many directions you could go with these. I look forward to seeing more!

Gwen Bell said...

Wow. The sketch was great, but seeing the blocks is dynamite! Love that strong graphic look.

Leslie Hawes said...

Fabulous printmaking! And I am totally taken with your profile picture. I think we are sisters. :)