Saturday, October 17, 2009

Makeover or Take 2


Common Loon, 8 x 10, acrylic and collage

I'm refurbishing canvases again, painting over the uninspired efforts of earlier days , trying for something new and more interesting. Before I began this painting, I had covered the old canvas with a mixture of collage papers, but left the spirals in the lower right corner from the previous work.

Aline brought in a cool book she got for her recent birthday. It is a book of many birds of North America with a picture and something written about each, and then you can press a button on the side to hear their calls. We had a particularly good time listening to the common loon who makes a haunting, almost howling-wolf kind of sound. Good for this time of year. It brought people from all over the front of the building wondering what kind of creature was loose at LibertyTown!

I'm heading up to Alexandria tomorrow to bring home LibertyTown's contributions to From There to Here show which closes tomorrow in the Target Gallery at the Torpedo Factory. I'm pleased that one of my works sold. It was not the one I thought would sell, either, so that's nice.



He Takes After Your Side of the Family, 10 x 10, mixed media with collage, aluminum cans, acrylic

7 comments:

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Thanks, Cathyann! I hope things are going well with you!

Kerri Settle said...

The loon painting is wonderful and I love the wittiness of the bottom one! Funny about the book too; it sounds like something my dad would love to harass people with.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Hi, Kerri! Thanks for your comments.

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Hi Elizabeth!

I just love loons! Their haunting calls. And this is a GREAT painting. Love it! I've even been called an Uncommon Loon!!!! :D So I'm definitely partial to all things loon.

Connie Chadwell said...

Hi Elizabeth - this is so great! I was going to tell you each thing I especially like about it and then realized - hey, I just love all of it. Beautifully and imaginatively done!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Congratulations on the sale! I love how you never can predict which painting will sell and for what reason. It keeps the art-making a constant adventure.

Also I love the painting and the use of collage, and how you kept a portion of a previous painting! I cannot wait to see your other map paintings.

Liz

Leslie Hawes said...

Both of these pieces are terrific!
hehe, the title...He Takes After Your Side of the Family...