Friday, February 12, 2010

Blowin' it up!

I enjoyed painting the triptych of trees (the link shows the golden panel) so much on those narrow canvases, that I wanted to try it on a larger scale.  This piece is on 18 x 36 x 1.5 canvas.  I plan to push the darks on the tree and the lights in the background to separate the two.  It's kind of cool to see the spirals floating on the surface of the painting, but a little-crazy making!

 
Work in progress, 18 x 36, acrylic, by Elizabeth Seaver

Tonight we open the new show at LibertyTown called Young Fredericksburg.  The opening was postponed from the real First Friday when a snow storm blew into town.  We are a little superstitious about First Fridays in Fredericksburg, since we have had blizzards, microbursts, hurricanes, flash floods and torrential downpours which all waited until that day to arrive in our fair city.  Or maybe artists just have a persecution complex!

At any rate, the sun is shining and is purported to do that ALL DAY LONG.  We love the sun.

This weekend I will be catching up on the blogs of my friends in the blog-o-sphere.  See you there.

9 comments:

Kim Rempel said...

Elizabeth - another glorious tree! I love it. Nice warm colours too. Beautiful.

-Don said...

Your comment about First Friday and artists having to deal with a persecution complex is right on. I've taken part in our First Friday event in Las Vegas for 15 months now, and it has rained 5 of them - IN LAS VEGAS, where it never rains! Coincidence? I don't think so... :-)

Good luck at the opening. I hope for a good turnout and a successful event.

-Don

Unknown said...

i love your trees

RH Carpenter said...

I don't know how you do this without eyes crossing and losing your place - but I'm glad you do! This is gorgeous!

Celeste Bergin said...

Good luck at your opening..this is another very wonderful tree. Decorative---and in a very very good way.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Good luck with your show! Am loving the trees, and the process - so alive!

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

I like this just as it is, but I love seeing how you pull your trees out. I hope you don't get too cross-eyed!

I gave you a Sunshine Award on my blog today - check it out at http://younglaosilkpaintings.blogspot.com/2010/02/sunshine-award.html

Kathleen Krucoff said...

I just love these trees Elizabeth! I imagine they are very popular with the public.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Elizabeth,

I don't get here often enough, and I love your work. This is just amazing. I've given you the Sunshine Award for Positive and Creative blogging.

Take care,

Barbara