Thursday, April 8, 2010

Completed

Comfort Zone, collage/acrylic, 22 x 28, by Elizabeth W. Seaver
sold

Andrew Finnie asked me whether I used a varnish with a UV protection coating in it.  The answer is yes.  I use a great Golden polymer varnish which you thin and brush on.  I coat my paintings twice.  It helps protect the colors in the collage and the paint from fading.  Keeping the paintings out of sunlight is always a good idea, however!  Thanks for the question, Andrew.  Go see his blog.  His work is darkly fantastical and so amazing, and his writing is, too.

I'm having adventures with my new camera, which has held up my posts somewhat.  I am finding a couple of things as I bump along with it.  One is that when the batteries are losing power, all manner of weird and puzzling things happen to interfere with picture taking.  (Note to self:  check battery charge first!)  The second is that if you put the bizarre messages which appear on your camera display screen into the Google search engine, some poor soul has had the problem before you and posted some kind of help for you.  The interwebs are an amazing thing!

Thanks for looking and please click on the image to enlarge it for a better perspective.

19 comments:

-Don said...

Well, I sure hope that if your bird is going to hang out in his "Comfort Zone" he would remember to wear his UV protection! :-)

I've decided that batteries are the bane of my camera using experience. I'm sorry you have had to discover this as well. The web IS such a wonderful research tool anymore, isn't it?

Happy creating!

-Don

martinealison said...

Très original... J'aime beaucoup

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

Just LOVE this bird Elizabeth! I keep wishing I were there...I'd just LOVE to see these in person!! I hear ya with the camera thing...what camera do you use?? I just love my Nikon P80!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Hey, Don--of course, no matter how silly my birds are, they must wear sunscreen!

Maybe the bizarre things I say and do on occasion may be blamed on my low battery---hmmm.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Thanks for stopping by to comment, martinealison!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Hi, Saundra. Your enthusiasm for my work is always appreciated!

I have a Nikon D80 (or should I say, it has me!) I like the photos, but I think it is obvious we need a longer acquaintance for our relationship to smooth out!

Kim Rempel said...

Yes, it looks like perfection : )) Love the hit of black and the composition. I wish I was there with your little bird!

Celeste Bergin said...

Such charm! I love everything about it--but without a doubt the "striped socks" are my favorite part. What a delightful image. I wish I owned this one!

Michelle said...

I love his striped legs! So cute.

ariel freeman said...

Love him, so cute. We are so ready for summer! I like the Golden Varnish also, but haven't tried the brush-on kind. Must try :-) It makes the color really pop.

Vivian said...

The finished Comfort Zone is amazing. I was perfectly happy with the naked umbrella until I saw the finished glory of the red with collage showing underneath. Keep up the good work.

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

LOL - livin' large!

Anudeepa Kadiresan said...

I love the colors,bird looks happy and relaxed:-).
Have you find this bird in Texas>

Mary Anne Cary said...

Great colors in this one, wish I was there with him.... looks so relaxing!

Dorothy said...

It is "perfection", just as his shades profess!!

Andrew Finnie said...

Very nice (can I say 'nice'?) :)

It's a beautiful work.

Thanks for the heads up on the technique. There are so many interesting things happening in image making these days and it's nice to know that stability is not comptomised.

Oh, and thanks for saying nice things about me :)!


see you

Andrew Finnie said...

Ha, make that 'compromised'.... aagh :)

lettuce said...

:-)

I especially love the long long thin stripey legs

RH Carpenter said...

What a bright and delightful work of art!! I love how his spindly but colorful legs mimic the tip of the umbrella in the position...he looks like one cool dude in the shade but enjoying the beach :) My husband loves his D80 so if you have particular questions, just ask - he's a retired professor and part-time photo teacher.