Thursday, September 30, 2010

Special Delivery

Special Delivery,  collage/acrylic, 4 x 4
Elizabeth W. Seaver

Soon, (but not too soon, his grandma would say) this painting will be on its way to Ohio where first time parents are awaiting the birth of their child.  "Grandma" is a great pal of mine in Fredericksburg, and she and Grandpa will take it to their daughter and son-in-law when the baby comes.  I sent it with best wishes to the mom and dad to celebrate their little "special delivery," due any time within the next three weeks. 

I wanted to make sure I spelled the parents' names right on the card, so I checked the spelling with my friend.  She asked me why I wasn't putting the BABY'S name on the card.  I had to stop and think about it for a minute.

And then I remembered.  I loved having my babies (well, not the pregnancy.......and, not the birth so much, but the baby itself--well, that was heaven!!)  But I did notice an amazing phenomenon at the moment of the birth of each of my sons.  In a flash, I went from being the sacred vessel of the hope and future of the family to "old what's her name."  And I wasn't looking any too swift, either, so they cropped in really close when they shot the pictures to ease out the hag and to make sure the new, cute one filled the frame.

So, I told Lynette that this was for the parents, because Riley was going to get lots of loot and oodles of attention.   

I can't wait to hold him so I hope they come for Christmas.  Before they get here, I'll practice saying Riley's parents' names, and remind myself to say hello to them, too!

21 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Spiffy new blog look , E!!! Delightful gift for the new parents to be!!! They will be thrilled. You are so right about the post delivery period- everything goes south after that!!!

Anna M. Branner said...

I can't believe the new little one will be here in just 3 weeks! A sweet giftee too.

Linda Popple said...

What a wonderful gift!! :-)

Carrie Waller Watercolors said...

That is a terrific gift! We have a Rylie in our family, but she's a girl and it's spelled a little differenlty, but it's great name. Love this gift, I'm sure Riley's parents will love it, because soon that's what they'll be known as, Riley's Mommy and Daddy:)

Celeste Bergin said...

you are very considerate...who thinks about anyone but the baby! lol---I love the balloons and bird--festive and congratulatory!

martinealison said...

Merveilleux présent de naissance...
et dire que bientôt je vais être pour la première fois grand-mère... Bisous

Terry Pitzel said...

So nice to see you on Thursday.

I love your art it has grown into a beautful art form.

Karen Kyle Ericson said...

Wonderful story and very thoughtful of you. I can imagine it is a bit awkward for Mom. I love this print. You could easily put together a children's book (if you haven't already). The expression on the goose's face and balloons are so imaginative and fun!

Lorraine Shirkus said...

I'm always so enchanted each time I visit your site . . . your images are so inventive and your writing is so much fun to read! I love all the different media you use to make each piece so distinctive and whimsical.
Beautiful gift!

Artist said...

love the balloons! beautiful!

Carole Barkett said...

Great photo and it's so true about the parents

Nan Johnson said...

Love this one. It's so happy & delightful. A very sweet gift!

Ross Lynem said...

What a great story! We've had a lot of new arrivals in our family these days too, so i know what you are speaking of. Thanks so much Elizabeth for stopping by my blog and for your encouraging words re" "The Choir". I love your acrylics and collage pieces. I found "Night Owls" on your website and thought it brilliant among others. Wish i had thought of it! Smile!

Andrew Finnie said...

Hey love the sweep in this, and the suggestion of a prescence outside the frame. You are very nice to people that you know - what comes around, goes around.

:)

cheers

hop your day is grande!

Andrew Finnie said...

well better make that 'hope' - but hop has charm :)

Kerri Settle said...

Congrats to your friends! This will make a great gift.

Der Spielmacher said...

Have arrived here from across the seas.
Found this piece of AWESOME blog !!
Cheers from Indonesia
http://wasisthescreamingsilence.blogspot.com

Anudeepa Kadiresan said...

superb painting.....thoughtful and the way he is holding the baloons are beautiful.

Yan Hong said...

When friends have babies, I always give a present to the new parents. I don't worry about the baby, not that I'm not happy the baby is here, but it will have enough "loot," as you say. Love the balloons.

Andrew Finnie said...

No resting on your laurels now, where is that paintbrush!

:) :)

Fay Akers said...

OMG you had that right about the close up.. funny.
the card is fun and I sure the parents will love it.