Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Free Range


Free Range, oil, 10 x 8
Elizabeth W. Seaver
Sold

I was working on a commission in oil and got excited about that medium again.  So, while the paints are wet, I am using them instead of acrylics--but just for now.

I always say that my favorite thing about acrylics is that they dry so quickly.  And my least favorite thing about acrylics is that they dry so quickly.  I love the way the oil paint continues to move and soften edges.

See below, landscape in acrylic:

 Gulf Coast Sunrise I, acrylic, 12 x 12

And landscape in oil:


Gulf Coast Sunrise 2, oil, 10 x 10

4 comments:

Anna M. Branner said...

Cool! I never really saw a comparison like that. The oils definitely are more moody.....love it of course. ;)

Ana M.F. said...

I love them both but I'm more used to work with oils when it comes to painting. Nice works ♥

Bronson Hill Arts said...

They are both stunning, Elizabeth. Your talent shows through in both styles.

-Barb

Gwen Bell said...

Always love the humor in your compositions...a great new take on the "Chicken or Egg" theme.

Both of your sunsets are beautiful. Don't you enjoy oils? The colors are more vibrant and that buttery texture is so addictive. IMO,The only thing Acrylic has going for it is quick dry time and easier clean up.