Saturday, January 26, 2013

Chester

 I'm painting on one in a set of three auditorium chairs taken from an old school nearby which was turned into condos. Three local artists were commissioned by the owner to paint one chair each in the set. He plans to donate the set to his nephew's school's yearly fund raiser to be auctioned off. The chairs consist of a heavy wooden seat and arms with a sturdy metal frame made to be bolted into the wall and floor.

The first artist who worked on the chairs kindly primed the entire set. You can see that the center chair has yet to be painted. When she finished the chair on the far left, she delivered the set to me. I painted "my" chair a very black purple and then drew on it with a white pastel chalk.

I hemmed and hawed about my design, but settled on my first idea to paint a figure sitting in the chair.



I took these pictures with my phone, and the colors are not very accurate. The purples should be more towards the red than blue.



This has been so much fun. Most of what is left to do is to wipe off the original chalk drawing and seal the chair.

Then it is up to me to deliver the set to the final artist to work her magic on it. I hope I get to see pictures of the whole thing when it is finished. 


20 comments:

smartcat said...

Wonderful! Love the notion of sitting in a lap!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Hah! Hadn't thought of it that way. Good thing the lap is cushioned!

Anna M. Branner said...

Wow that was fast! (But then I didn't come in yesterday did I?) I love it!!!!

Polly Birchall said...

What a brilliant idea for the chairs and I love your painting. It looks like you are getting a hug from little duckie!

Dorothy said...

I love it! I know people who have accidentally sat in someone's lap in a dark theater! At least they won't squawk this time .... OR maybe you should make it do that LOL. OK, maybe not. ;)

Unknown said...

How cool!!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Hi, Anna: Thanks! Yeah, the old paint brush moves pretty quickly, once the artist stops flitting around and sits to paint!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Polly: The cutest thing. Two little ones who visited my studio went right to it and climbed into the chair. It made them giggle to be told that they were sitting in a bird's lap!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Hi, Dorothy: Now that would be something truly unique. I'll work on it!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Hi, Kathy: Thanks for visiting. I'm glad you like Chester.

theartofpuro said...

It's amazing:)Love it:)

Polly Birchall said...

They probably were'nt two little girls, it was probably you and a friend! How lovely to see the little ones enjoy your special chair.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Hello,Puro. Thank you. I am now trying not to ruin it with the sealer--ack!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Polly, you guessed it! And what fun we had, giggling and taking turns. (Well, actually, I knocked her out of the chair for my turn and wouldn't let her back in.) Some things never change....

weekend et coup de brosse said...

C'est extrêmement original, j'aime beaucoup!
Merci d'avoir visité mes pages, je viens donc découvrir ton blog, à bientôt.
Cath.

Maria Bennett Hock said...

What a wonderfully whimsical way to decorate a chair!!! so fun!!!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Hi, Cath. Thank you so much. And thanks for your visit!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Hi, Maria! Thank you. It is fun. I might have to do it again on other unsuspecting chairs!

Cari-Jane Hakes said...

Elizabeth, thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my work. I'm so glad you did, since my computer died I lost a lot of my bookmarks - your comment has enabled me to have you back on my blog reading list! Thank you!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Hi, Cari-Jane: Crummy that your computer crashed. So sorry. But I'm glad we found each other again. Thanks for dropping by!