Wednesday, June 18, 2014

I've Been Away Awhile

Nero Fiddled, 16 x 20, Commissioned Work
Elizabeth W. Seaver
sold
 
Not literally away, but away from writing and posting on my blog. You may imagine me, paint-stained and wild-haired, industriously stacking the canvases against the wall, hoping to have enough work to fill the amazing Bistro Bethem
 
The real kicker, as you painters know, is to have work you are proud of and what looks to be a body of work when it all goes on the wall. Interestingly, though my work will have been created within about a six month period, it changes as I go along. Earlier paintings don't fit as well with the later works as I would like. Which leads to fiddling.
 
Anybody else have that problem? I can't leave them alone. I have already painted over two of my earlier works and while the consensus on one is that it is a good thing, the jury is still out as to whether the latest painting on top of the second is better that the original one.

A wise teacher once said to me, "Put down the paintbrush and back away from the canvas." 

I hear her voice in my head, but just like that petulant child who wants what she wants enough to try throwing a tantrum to get it, I keep painting anyway. Sometimes.

But when one has the inspiration of the real Nero the Cat, well, one is careful to stop in time.

7 comments:

smartcat said...

Welcome back! Nero is a fine looking fellow; are you going to show is more?
Toes crossed for an excellent show.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Hey, Suzi! Thanks so much for your visit and comment. Yes, my toes are crossed, too!

scmorgan said...

We LOVE the painting, and so does Nero. I swear he paused, looked above the mantel and sighed in appreciation of your work....

Elizabeth Seaver said...

I knew he was a king among cats. Such discernment! AND he is a mouser. What more could one ask? Thanks for the commission and for sharing Nero with me. He is a sweetheart!

Unknown said...

The color choices are excellent, your value contrasts are good and the composition is strong. And the intention of your subject matter is clear. Back away from the painting. It's ready! I can't wait to see your show. I'll be in town starting on Saturday.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

I talk about that wise teacher, and she pops up to comment on the post--wow! Thank you Karen! I look forward to seeing you this summer, back in the 'Burg!

Unknown said...

Awe shucks! I'm one of your biggest fans! I love watching your artisitc growth. You are so talented!