Thursday, April 9, 2009

More Work on the St. George's Church Block

I made ten more prints today, or so, and really found some fun techniques to bring variety and depth to the sky. I also did a more conventional print using both black and blue which gave me a print with nice blue in the night sky.



My favorites were made by wiping some of the ink away in swirls with a wet towel, or inking only the lower half of the block and the steeple, leaving just traces of ink to print in the sky. My very favorite print started like the one I just described, but I also added ink from small blocks cut into spiral shapes. I printed all over the sky in black and gray and white. It really gives a dramatic look to what is otherwise a large static space.










All in all, a very fun, productive day. I think I'm back to more collage work tomorrow--after going bird-watching in the early morning for the first time in a long time!!

10 comments:

r garriott said...

Very nice! I see you've used the 'genius formula'... 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration!

I like all the variations on this print, especially the chartruese/black. You're making me want to get out the old lino tools!!

Laurel Daniel said...

These are SO great - I love seeing all the various renditions and how each changes the overall feeling of the piece.

Judy Alexander said...

These are really great. Love all the variations.

FitFoodieMegha said...

What variations you create..They all are lovely...:) Keep it up!
Megha
Art on Sketchbook

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

These are wonderful! The swirls. I've just stumbled onto your site and am glad I did! I will be following. I also admire your work in establishing a co-op. Very nice work!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Aw, shucks, guys, I'm speechless! I do appreciate such wonderful feedback from you all. It means a great deal!

jennifer woodburn said...

These are amazing! Have to admit I love the dark blue sky the best. Great composition on this one! So much fun to experiment isn't it?

Jodie said...

Love these prints! Very inspiring, I have never done any printing before, but after seeing these, I am very tempted to give it a go!

Susanne said...

Great to find another printmaker. These look wonderful.

Gwen Bell said...

Really like this series of prints. The swirled sky next to the crisp lines of the structure are a wonderful touch. So glad I found your blog because I love your work. By the way, I'm your 50th follower...WOOO HOOO!