Saturday, March 28, 2009

Despite My Good Intentions....

I have to show off the finished Hippo, even though I said I was going to save the reveal for my show. So many have seen it already because I paint in a fishbowl!



I'm not sure how the rest of you out in art Blogdom work, but I am I kind of spiral painter. If you follow my blog at all, you see lots of starts all in a short period of time--then a lapse of time before I present a finish. Not only do I love spirals and put them in my art whenever, but I always have several pieces in process at once and work on them in a serial manner. I love that, because it gives me space from each work to consider the best way to proceed. Sometimes I work from a photo, but most often I paint with a subject in mind, but more intuitively about how the subject will be rendered. The subject, the composition, the materials all can speak to me so I know how continue on a piece. That sounds kooky, I know, but I don't know a better way to put it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This turned out amazing! Thanks for sharing it with us bloggies! I do find that I work in spurts and some pieces just sit for ages . I haven't had a chance to paint for awhile and I am going crazy! Maybe tonight!

Paula Villanova said...

I also work in spurts and in a fishbowl! I share studio space with three others so I have learned to paint with an audience although, they are very respectful. I also paint plein air and you just never know who will come up and strike up a conversation. Anyway...I just wanted to let you know...you're not alone in your routine!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Nice to know other artists have similar experiences. The whole painting in front of others was a hard thing to learn, but I can think of it as an opportunity to grow, right? Thanks for your comments Maria and Paula!

jennifer woodburn said...

Wow - Elizabeth I am so glad I checked out your blog. What amazing work you create. You have a very unique style, and I love how you incorporate different elements (collage, printing, painting etc). You also have such a great sense of whimsy. I look forward to seeing more.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Thanks so much for coming to "see" me and for joining my blog, Jennifer. What nice things you say--I appreciate it so much!

Cathy said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog Elizabeth. You have some beautiful work here.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Thanks, Cathy for your nice comment and for joining my blog!