Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Hippo

I am showing the beginnings of a painting for my show, though I may not show it finished--I'm saving that for later! I gessoed some rescued packing crate--it measures 29.5 x 38--and toned it in my favorite midnight blue. Having already decided I was going to paint a hippo with Elizabeth birdies on its head (I'm thinking it is a She-Hippo at this point), I did a drawing in watercolor crayon and textured the hippo with my tiny hand-shaped and cut printmaking blocks. The magnificent lady is mostly submerged in a marshy place, and came up out of the water with a garland of leaves over one ear.

The photo above is not great, but you get the idea.


I still need to paint her bird-buddies. Actually, I kind of like them dark....

4 comments:

Tracey Clarke said...

I love this, Elizabeth. Beautful.

FitFoodieMegha said...

This is beautiful Elizabeth!....Dear, I have started a new blog dedicated to my sketch work — Art on Sketchbook

Connie Chadwell said...

This is stunning - wonderful design! I love this!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Thank you so much for the encouraging words, everyone! It means so much.