Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Falling Pears


I have been watching this underpainting on gessoed, unstretched canvas which has been taped to my studio wall for several weeks. At the same time, I have been working on pieces to enter in a juried show at LibertyTown called Feast for the Eyes, which is all about food. It is paired with a contest on April's First Friday where the foodies and food sculptors get to create art with food. It is quite a fun event.

Yesterday, I began a painting of falling pears and leaves on the canvas from the shapes of several of my block prints used to create the underpainting. You can see them in the confusion if you enlarge the photo above.


I don't want to lose all of the visual texture provided by the first layer here, but I do need to resolve some of its impact. I am also considering how I might use collage, as well. I'll keep you all "posted!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW! Elizabeth! I just love this! I can't wait to see what you do! I would be tempted to leave it, I just love the play between the under painting and the pears!

Unknown said...

Hi Elizabeth- this piece is so stunning already, maybe it's almost done without any collageing. I've been making my own stamps lately, so this painting of yours is very interesting to me right now. I'll check back to see how you are progressing,and I'm sure I'll learn something. Also, your descriptions of the rubbings were neat, thanks.