Thursday, March 19, 2009

Today's Work

Today, I started from the above working in acrylic. And how got you there, you ask?? I began by toning an 11 x 14 canvas board with quinacridone red, then printed over with small hand cut block prints. I painted negatively with a mixture of phthalo turquoise, permanent green light and white to create the tree. Then I went back in to paint on the branches with more red.

Today, I added fruit and leaves cut from catalogue pages from around the turn of the last century, fixing them to the board with matte medium. I printed a funny little bird--one of my own blocks--and began to add color to the fruit and bird--hansa medium, phthalo blue and black were added to the rest of the palette. I went in with a black micron pen to create dark edges around elements in the painting.

There's a lot going on, but I'm pretty pleased with it. Oh, and I forgot--along the way the sky turned from turquoise to blue--sometimes, life is like that!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Love that little bird- such personality!! The fruit is wonderful great colors- you KNOW how I feel about collage!! :)
Elizabeth

Anna M. Branner said...

You are the Master of Layering! :) I love it.

Ronnie said...

Great stuff! Now you've got me interested in print making. A local gallery is having a workshop next month on print making. I just may go.

r garriott said...

Isn't that something! Very fun and effective. I really like this!

Crazy RAvens Studio said...

Elizabeth, I am inspired to try some new collage pieces. I really like this little painting. I'm glad other artist change things along the way. What starts off as a good idea sometimes takes off in a totally different (hopefully better) direction.