Wednesday, April 8, 2009

New Print--St. George's Church

I have been wanting to work on relief prints on a larger scale. I have a commission of a painting on slate of this same subject, so I wanted to explore it in this form first. Sometimes, I begin a slate painting with a relief print and hand paint the image.

Here is the drawing transferred onto the block, which is 7 3/8 x 9 1/8.








The prints were not coming out as consistent as I wanted (not sure why, that's a problem for another day) but I liked this one.











Since I was having such trouble getting good ink coverage, I decided to play with the inking and modify the block before printing. It looks a bit like an homage to Vincent Van Gogh.

I love the depth in the sky and the good dark tones I got in the foreground.








I will continue to experiment with different ink colors and texture in the sky--maybe even some hand-coloring.

9 comments:

FitFoodieMegha said...

Wonderful Idea...This experiment is really working Elizabeth..:) Keep in touch!

Megha
Art on Sketchbook

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Thanks Megha! I have become a follower on your blog and look forward to your posts!

Elizabeth said...

E!
Love how this is working up- the sky is terrific and the dark tones set off the carving so nicely!!
Elizabeth

Elizabeth said...

Thanks so much for thinking of me with the Lemonade award!! I am thinking on it!!
Hugs!
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Thanks, E!

Teresa said...

I've enjoyed browsing your blog, Elizabeth. You have some beautiful art, and though I don't know much about relief prints it was interesting to read. I look forward to visiting again!

Jeane Myers said...

good morning Elizabeth! wow, I love this relief print and I've had a wonderful time perusing your blog - thank you so much for honoring me with this award - I will display it proudly on my blog - will definitely be back - scituar

Jeane Myers said...

ooops, typed the wv in my last comment - geez, time for another cup of coffee to clear the cobwebs....Ha!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Theresa and Jeane, thanks so much for visiting my blog--what nice comments. I so appreciate them!