Thursday, April 23, 2009

When Cultures Collide


Here's what I've been working on this week. I'll show a little bit of WIP. I started by toning a 24 x 36 canvas with midnight blue acrylic paint and drew a peacock in cowboy boots in watercolor pencil. Then I went looking for collage materials and using matte medium collaged them into the background of the painting.

(Note: The horse is collaged in. I did not paint it. I am going to do more work on it as I keep painting the piece.)









Next, I began developing both the foreground and background by defining the sky, middle distance and foreground.








I had originally planned to use aluminum from drink cans as feathers, but it was too much, so I kept painting the feathers with different mixtures 0f phthalo blue, cerulean blue, quinacridone red, and permanent green light and pushing and pulling on the background to make some depth. The cans got used for the head feathers, and look closely at the spurs down the way. The spurs spin because I used brads to affix them!








Here are some detail pix.








Spinning spurs!










And here is how it stands as of the time I left the studio.










Why did I paint a peacock in cowboy boots? Well, I really can't say. But if I find out, I'll be sure to let you know!

12 comments:

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

Exizabeth, Wonderful piece! Reminds me why I love collage...I wish I'd had you for a student...I am inspired!

Jeane Myers said...

Elizabeth, I love this piece - and the cowboy boots are perfect! - who cares where they came from....ha!

Incognito said...

You know I love me some cowboy boots! Can't wait to see this one in person (in peacock?)! See you soon.

Val's Dragonfly Whimsy said...

Love the painting - your imagination is vivid and full of unusual but lovely characters, the painting is magic - love the spurs - look forward to seeing the next installemnt. Hugz Val

FitFoodieMegha said...

What a creative painting..I loves those cowboy boots..:) Well done Elizabeth!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

You guys are wonderful. I really appreciate the nice comments. You keep me going!

Jean Spitzer said...

This is really interesting--both the work itself and seeing the process. I've never seen collage done before; just the finished piece. Thanks!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Hey Elizabeth!

This is really cool. I like the collage and how your are putting everything together. You are one creative lady!

Annie said...

How nice your collage. Painting on it is a good idea, I have to remember this:-) Greetings.

Tracey Clarke said...

Love, love it!..:) Great creative spark, Elizabeth!

jennifer woodburn said...

Love this - what could be better than a peacock in cowboy boots! I wish I could see your work in person. The close up shot shows so much of the detailed, layering effect you have. Wonderful!

ArtPropelled said...

Love the quirkiness in your paintings!